Thursday, February 23, 2012

To Begin the Day

Mom worked at the same hospital for nearly 40 years, starting as a secretary and later serving as staffing coordinator. She would always get up early to go to work early. The schedule let her be home when we got home from school.

This story is from one of her writing classes, written in 1992, chronicling her early-morning drive to work. The photo is of Mom at her desk in 2001.

The alarm goes off. It's 4 a.m. I groan a bit and start to move. It is cold, so I move quickly. I put my robe on and go up front. I need a cup of coffee and breakfast. Now, I'm ready to face the world. Ugh!!

I finish dressing hurridly to be out of the house by 6 a.m. It's cold! This sweater and slacks feels good. I'm glad my car is in a garage or there would be ice to scrape. The car starts with no problem.

As I back the car down the drive, I always look at the sky and everything around. If it is a clear day, the stars pierce the blackness. The moon no matter what stage it is in, is always gorgeous. I am partial to the full moon, but the quarter is also neat. Later in the year, the sun will begin to rise. That can be spectacular.

Nature is wonderful if you stop to watch. There is the occasional rabbit crossing the street, the birds in the trees, or the dog barking as you drive by. The occasional deer running across the road can be both gorgeous and frightening, should you hit it.

Before you know it the ten miles are done. Coming into town, the atmosphere changes. The traffic is heavier, the buses are pulling out of the bus barn, delivery trucks are starting off and many others, like myself, hurrying to work. All of this hassle brings me back to reality. I really have to go to work, to face all the day's problems. All day long there is someone with a problem expecting me to have an answer. Another long day of stress.

I believe this relaxing drive in the morning is God's way of preparing me for the full day at work.

Connie, January 1992

No comments:

Post a Comment